OUR APPROACH TO MEDIA RELATIONS
The media landscape is constantly changing and evolving. So, it’s important to keep on top of the best PR opportunities. Here’s what Skout’s approach involves:
- We start by understanding your business and marketing objectives. Then we know what media relationships and coverage are needed to support this.
- Then we map out your audience personas – including what interests them what messages you need to convey. From this we can developing your targeted media list – to ensure outcomes are super-relevant.
- We then survey the media landscape to check what they are reporting on. This is vital so your media relations programme taps into the media’s own agenda. We map your business’ content and stories to the issues of the day.
- Next we go story foraging within your business. Skout delves deep to see what natural media angles you have. These might include insightful data, news, opinions, market knowledge or response to sector trends.
- Then we help you build meaningful relationships with the media. This could involve briefing meetings and calls, pitching story ideas, offering exclusives, writing articles, responding to features, and targeted news pitching.
5 KEY MEDIA RELATIONS TIPS
We’ve helped many clients from small start-ups to large enterprises with media relations. Here are 5 key media relations tips you too can benefit from:
- Developing relationships with freelance writers by offering them story ideas.
- Generating exclusives with key publications. This elevates the quality and position of your coverage and your brand. It can lead to front page stories, lead features and more.
- Proactive media briefings. These establish your spokespeople as effective commentators. As a result, journalists are more likely to trust you as a source.
- Rapid commentary on big business and current affairs. Everything from commenting on a data security breach to the impact of new laws.
- Development storylines in various contexts so they will appeal to different types of media. For example, using video footage for broadcast coverage.
We helped legal firm SAS Daniels build targeted brand awareness through a proactive media relations strategy spanning many different media groups, from broadcast to business.