Awards season is well and truly upon us. With the Brits and the Oscars due to take place later this month, celebrities from the worlds of music and film will be choosing the outfit, perfecting their spray tans and writing their acceptance speeches as the events draw closer.
And not a sector to miss out on celebrating its successes, there are plenty of awards going on in the PR sector too (we’ve won a few as a regional B2B PR agency). Regardless of the sector you are in there will undoubtedly be an industry or regional business award that you can enter.
Award winning entries take time and effort to create and it can often take a few days’ hard work compiling the relevant data and facts you need to make your entry stand out from the crowd, but are they worth it? We think so and here’s why:
- Raising brand awareness – Even getting on the shortlist is great for brand awareness.
- Benchmarking – To have your organisation judged by a third party is recognition that other people think you are doing a good job.
- Credibility – An award win or a place on the shortlist is a great endorsement for your business and is likely to be considered favourably by existing customers and prospects alike.
- Internal motivation – Winning an award is testament to the fact that your employees are doing a great job. Awards success is a great morale booster and something to celebrate and be proud of.
- Boost recruitment – Who wouldn’t want to work for an award winning organisation?
Once you’ve compiled your award entry for a specific award, it might be possible to enter the same material into another category too, or perhaps into other awards entirely, thereby increasing your chances of a win. It’s a cliché but you’ve got to be in it to win it, so why not give it a go, what have you got to lose?
Fiona Whyatt has worked in B2B PR for many years. She loves blogging!