Last Sunday saw almost 200,000 revellers hit the streets of Manchester to celebrate Manchester Day. Never heard of it? Well, it’s not quite up there yet with Pancake Day or Father’s Day, but Manchester Day is slowly becoming an annual event to look forward to for anyone local to the city.
It has been claimed the event brought more than £1m into the city and visitors were treated to a parade featuring colourful floats, breath-taking costumes all inspired by the theme of this year’s event, ‘Game On.’
As a B2B PR agency based on the outskirts of Manchester, we love to see Manchester in the spotlight. Unfortunately, I was unable to head into the city this year to join in the celebrations, so I thought I’d come up with five more reasons why Manchester is such a great city to visit all year round:
- Music! From Elbow to Oasis, many of the music industries greats hail from the city and Manchester still boasts a fantastic live music scene.
- The nightlife! A sedate cocktail or a banging night club, whatever your preference, there’s something for everyone in Manchester.
- The culture! Manchester boasts some the country’s finest museums and art galleries.
- Sport! Whether you’re red of blue there’s always a footie debate to be had in Manchester.
- Shopping! Harvey Nicks & Selfridges and the Trafford Centre are among the many retail delights to be found.
I will definitely plan to attend Manchester Day 2016 because in the words of one of its finest but fictional residents, Frank Gallagher: “it knows how to throw a good partyeee!”
Fiona Whyatt has worked in B2B PR for many years. She loves blogging!